12:45 PM - Merlin's Walk in support of the Forsyth County Humane Society !
1st Place Trophy goes to the first person to run, jog or walk, across the finish line.
1:30 PM - Margaret Weaver McGee Memorial RACE/WALK in benefit of the North Carolina Children's Home !
This is a RACE/WALK. A 1st place Trophy will be awarded. Race walkers, of course are not runners or joggers.
2:15 - The Queen's Walk - Miss Sydney Fearrington will chair the walk for her favorite charity, an organization that helps disabled children through therapy involving horses. This is a walk or you can trot if you want! Minimum entry fee of $5.00 is suggested. 100% of the proceeds go to
Registration for the various races begins @ 11 AM. Please sign in at least 30 minutes prior to the "official" start of your event ! ! ! THANKS!
A DAY in the VILLAGE
SAT., JUNE 6, 2009 from 10 AM until 5 PM
Location: Clemmons Elementary School grounds
Directions: I-40 to Clemmons Exit - Lewisville Clemmons Road towards downtown Clemmons - Left onto 158 at the light - left onto James St.
The LAAC is pleased to announce that the 4th annual event, "A Day in the Village" will be held in June this year and will feature charity race walks and fun runs to benefit five different charities in addition to festival activities.
"This event serves several grand purposes," explains Marilyn Ingram, the Executive Director of The LAAC during a recent interview. "Research shows that Americans need more exercise. Walking is easy exercise, the means by which people are built to move - and then we have the wonderful track at the Clemmons Elementary School! To create a fun way to benefit several deserving charities and get your exercise in the company of friends seemed a good idea."
A Day in the Village will offer FIVE turns around the track during the course of the festival. Those wanting to participate can join in all five events and receive the "It Takes a Village to Support the ARTs / A Day in the Village" T-shirt for $20 OR enter each individual event for $5.00.
The person raising the most for each individual walk will receive a gift from the sponsors of the festival and The LAAC. The individual walks are:
1. It Takes a VILLAGE to SUPPORT the ARTS Fun Walk/Run - 1st Place Trophy goes to the first person across the finish line. The proceeds from the walk will go towards arts programing in the continuation of "A Day in the Village" in Clemmons, NC.
2. Merlin's Walk - 1st Place Trophy goes to the first person to run, jog or walk, across the finish line. The proceeds from the walk will go to the Forsyth Co. Humane Society. Merlin, a mixed breed black lab, will participate in the walk and will collect and deliver the funds to the Humane Society. Merlin also has another charity event, "Merlin's Concert" soon to enter a 4th season in the downtown Winston-Salem Arts District also in June 2009.
3. Margaret Weaver McGee Memorial RACE/WALK - This is a RACE/WALK. A 1st place Trophy will be awarded. Race walkers, of course are not runners or joggers. The proceeds from the race walk will go to the NC Children's Home located on Reynolda Road in Winston-Salem. Mrs. McGee was an alumni of the Children's Home, an Honorary Board Member of The LAAC and participated in the NC Senior Olympics as a race walker, swimmer and bowler. In her youth Mrs. McGee was the star center for the Children's Home Girl's Basketball Team. She remained a sports enthusiast and arts patron throughout her long and active life.
4. The Queen's Walk - Miss Sydney Fearrington, the current Miss Lewisville, NC, will name her favorite charity to receive the proceeds from The Queen's Walk. As Honorary Chairman of the event, Miss Fearrington will walk and will present a 1st place trophy following the completion of the walk.
5. The Village Walk - This event will benefit a cause, charity or non profit organization with in the boundaries of the Village of Clemmons, NC. Organizations wishing to nominate themselves as recipients may e-mail LAAC27023@gmail.com with details on their project or organization!
The LAAC would also like to announce that it has begun accepting applications for art, craft, non profit and business exhibitors and food vendors. For more information, visit www.thelaac.com or write to LAAC27023@gmail.com.
A Day in the Village Schedule:
8:30 AM - 9:45 AM - set up for vendors / exhibits
10 AM - A Day in the Village OPEN
Art, Craft, Business, Non-Profit Exhibits open
11 AM - registration begins for the FIVE walks
11:30 AM - Warm Up for the walks near the starting line by Megan Ingram of SkyDance
NOON It Takes a VILLAGE to SUPPORT the ARTS Fun Walk/Run
12:45 PM - Merlin's Walk
1:30 PM - Margaret Weaver McGee Memorial RACE/WALK
2:15 PM - The Queen's Walk
2:45 PM - The Village Walk
3:15 PM - Award Presentations for the Walks / Sponsor and LAAC Greetings
3:30 - 5 PM - Live Entertainment from the "A Day in the Village" Stage
On Going during the Day: Art, Craft, Non Profit and Business Expo, Concessions, Entertainment.
The LAAC would like to thank:The Village of Clemmons, NC, The Clemmons Elementary School, The Forsyth Co. Humane Society, The Children's Home, Atelier Studio in downtown Winston-Salem, Cheerwine, The Villager Voice Magazine and our beloved Staff at The LAAC - N. Arthur Perry, J. Harper Wrights, Nancy Smith, Rick Jones, Richard Jones, Maureen Potts, Megan Ingram, Wade Ingram and Jeff Broughton.
For more information on The LAAC, visit www.thelaac.com.
Feel FREE to forward this e-mail with reckless abandon! Come and join in "A Day in the Village"